Before February 28th

Hi everyone in ED 843, I hope you are all doing well!

We meet again soon! By next Saturday, this is what you need to finish:

1. Implement your technology plan in your classroom.
  2. Keep or copy 3 of the samples. This can be shared via hard copy, or you can email the digital copies to yourself and we’ll put them up on the projector. For the projector, just make sure that the digital copy is on software we use in the lab…we have any Office app, (Word, Excel, etc); Inspiration, anything on the Internet… and that’s about it!
  3. We’ll share the samples and the students’ evaluations of the project (and your evaluation too!).
  4. Phil and Terra will be presenting their lessons to us (we’ll be their students) since they are out of the classroom at this point. Phil and Terra, leave a comment or email me if you need more info. I’m allotting you about 5 min. for a quick explanation/background info for the lesson, then about 15-20 min of us trying your activity. Have an evaluation ready for us to complete (see the UOP 1 assignment page).
  5. Don’t forget to add your slide to our shared slideshow before we meet again (pick one of the blogs you’ve been reading on your RSS Aggregator. See the “To Do” page if you need directions, more info.
  6. Leave a comment on the blog (question at the end)

To bring: Planning materials (manuals, pacing plans, whatever will help you out), Samples and evaluations from the students

Comment!

Finally, please leave a comment…here’s your question. I know budgets are lousy right now, but let’s put that aside and imagine. If you could use technology in an ideal situation for your kids what would that be? Forget about pacing plans, getting through manuals, and testing. How could technology be put to use in your classroom where you believe kids would achieve deeper learning? I want you to both be practical (using your knowledge of how to teach) and also your imagination…if you could set up your classroom and/or school utilizing technology, what would it look like? See you Saturday.

7 thoughts on “Before February 28th

1. I’m a huge fan of project-based learning! The primary goal of which, in my opinion, is for students to take an active role in their own educations through the collective development of social skills, curiosity and accountability. With this idea in mind, I believe technology is pivotal for providing students the tools necessary to accomplish teacher-directed tasks in a collaborative, problem-solving manner, as well as stimulating thought processes associated with ‘deeper learning’ (e.g. inquiry, evaluation, synthesis, analysis, etc.). My ideal elementary classroom would incorporate current technological advances to meet this goal.

What does this look like?

This classroom would have several designated stations for conducting student work, a central forum for direct instruction, a separate screening area (complete with interactive whiteboard/ computer/LCD and film capacities) for sharing finished work, and a resource library. Each designated lab station would contain a pair of computers, inquiry journals and other student resources, headphones, and project materials. My students would have access to all areas at various points during a given lesson/day. To promote achievement, students would be provided with a ‘to-do’ list at the beginning of each day/week, which would contain not only teacher-chosen tasks, but also preferred student-tasks. Students could earn preferred-task time based upon individual effort and established classroom guidelines.

2. That sounds so fantastic. Small groups could learn skills/needed info (whether technical or content-related), then apply those skills to whatever project they’re working on. Have you been able to use project based learning in your classroom even without the technology?

3. In an ideal situation, where money is not an object, I would like to see laptops and iPods in the hands of every student.

Laptops can be used in a variety of ways, but mainly to enhance the learning of students during a lesson. They could be able to find further meaning of a topic, explore on their own, and clarify thoughts. In the technology age of today, students need to understand how to use computers and technology to their advantage. By teaching students how to appropriately use these tools, we can give them more opportunities for their future. Laptops can be used to access the curriculum, if we did away with actual textbooks and went to web-based learning, for creating projects, corresponding with other students or schools, and learning about the world around them.

If we gave every student an iPod, we could also enhance their learning. For students who are not visual learners, like many of my special education students, iPods could be a way to have them access the material in an auditory way. They could be exposed to the material before the lesson and have some pre-learning of vocabulary, they could listen to audio books to strengthen their reading and listening skills, they could listen to lectures after the fact to study for tests. There are many ways to use iPods appropriately for students, especially when they find a way to make the learning meaningful.

I don’t think that technology can replace a good teacher, but it can reach more students when used in the right way, and offer more opportunities for learning.

4. In an ideal situation by classroom would have the technology setup that LMU has in there classrooms as well as the laptops in the mobile carts would work all the time. I also would enjoy a mobile cart for the classroom rather than one per department in which you have to share.

If we had a technology set up like those in LMU classrooms is would be easier to access different visuals etc. for the lesson and concepts learned. I would use it like it is used at LMU.

I would wish for a less restrictive firewall in the district in the sense that students would be able to access content easier; but, I do understand why there is one in place.

5. No pacing plans, technology use without money restrictions…. this would be a perfect classroom. Technology would open many doors to multiple level students. Students that have issues producing written work due to poor motor skills can use keyboards or, other related hand held devices, to produce work. There are different computer programs that give students a different selection of assignments and teachers can monitor student work through their own computer. These programs can be presented to intervention students, special ed students, gate students, and all the other that fall in between. We also have to remind ourselves that technology is not only limited to a computer. We can use clickers to check for understanding; it will in turn give teachers data and immediate feedback. There are so many possibilites. This would be the ultimate situation for differentiated instruction.

6. 1. Content (Mathematics, Social science, Physical science, Language Arts, and Visual/Performing arts) would be in a clear and concise format that would allow students to easily understand the underlining facts regarding each subject matter.
    2. Each individual student’s interest, passion, talents, and skills would be identified, developed, and praised.
    3. Content and Student development would be developed into a curriculum of real life application that addresses future preparation (college, career, lifestyle, and social influence) .
    4. The latest forms of technology would orchestrate the process

7. 5. The technological devices will provide ample opportunities for students to practice scaffold lessons based on the eight learning modalities (Linguistic/Language, Logical/Mathematical, Musical, Spatial, Bodily kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, and Naturalist).