Things you might need on Saturday

Never has there been a time of greater promise or peril. The challenge of achieving that promise and in doing so saving our fragile planet will rest in the Net Generation. Our

responsibility to them is to give them the tools and opportunity to fulfill their destiny.

–Don Tapscott, Grown Up Digital

Creating your Blog

1) To create your blog, click above on the “Resources for Creating a Blog” tab. Links to Creative Commons image search engines: FlickrStorm and FlickrCC

If you need more resources for images that are ok to use with attribution, look at the list here.

Good etiquette to follow in your blog:

• If you mention a website, link to it.
  • If you mention an online persona, link to that person’s website.
  • Don’t forget to add tags and give your post a category (aren’t these great skills for students?)
  • If you use an image, include an attribution and link to it. This means link to the specific webpage the image resides on. Example, for the photo above, I have included all this in order to give proper attribution:
Image: ‘The Open Road www.flickr.com/photos/95572727@N00/2049233526
  • Don’t use student photos (or any other photos) without permission.

2) There are more resources if you scroll down to #6 on the links (rt. side of this page).

Planning your Second Project

If you are planning your own project, here are links to some of the resources I mentioned (I also added a

few more than are on the handout):

Classroom 2.0

The English Companion Ning

ISTE Young Educator’s Network

eTools & Tips for Educators

Digital Youth Network

PLN Wiki

Tapiohka (new social network set up for teachers & students)

• Other ideas: Set up, plan for using 3 types of technology with your students next year. Use your blog as a place to test ideas.
  • Put together a class webpage, either via your blog, or another website. Here are some links to possible websites you could use: Larry Ferlazzo’s “The Best Ways for Students or Teachers to Create a Website”
  • Are there technologies that your school or district want you to learn? This would be the perfect time to put them into practice.
  • On your blog, upload PowerPoints to Google Docs or SlideShare that students can use to study from next year, or create Voicethreads that students can comment on next year. Create a form in Google Docs that you can use to survey your students at the beginning of the year to give yourself a better idea of the composure of your classes.
  • Look on YouTube or TeacherTube for videos you can use to supplement your curriculum. Embed them on your blog.
  • Set up bookmarks at Diigo or Delicious for your classroom.

Web 2.0

5 thoughts on “Things you might need on Saturday

1. OK- 2nd try. Lesson learned. I am now typing in a word document because after typing my last lengthy comment and hitting send, the screen came up “The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable, and my blog note was “disappeared.” My note – Thank you for all the references. I am a little on overload, but that is not necessarily bad. I am using this blog to ask for help. I went through all the recommended lists preciously (“25 ways to use Twitter in the Classroom, lists and suggestions for using Web 2.0 applications and came across a program that allowed one to show full-length PBS movies to classes without having to purchase them. For instance “Crash: A Tale of Two Species”. I can’t find where I noted that, so have gone back through all the lists multiple times looking for it to no avail. Has anyone else found that application/site?

Woah- good thing this is in a word doc. – I got the antispam word wrong, and the window told me so, said go back and try again – but my blog message was gone again!

This time “No input file specified” on the send page, message deleted.

Linda Glass

2. OK- 2nd try. Lesson learned. I am now typing in a word document because after typing my last lengthy comment and hitting send, the screen came up “The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable, and my blog note was “disappeared.” My note – Thank you for all the references. I am a little on overload, but that is not necessarily bad. I am using this blog to ask for help. I went through all the recommended lists preciously (“25 ways to use Twitter in the Classroom, lists and suggestions for using Web 2.0 applications and came across a program that allowed one to show full-length PBS movies to classes without having to purchase them. For instance “Crash: A Tale of Two Species”. I can’t find where I noted that, so have gone back through all the lists multiple times looking for it to no avail. Has anyone else found that application/site?

Linda Glass